Tuesday, February 18, 2014

DIY Laundry Soap

I found a recipe for homemade laundry soap on Pinterest (originally from the Being Creative To Keep My Sanity blog) and decided to give it a try. And I LOVE it. It costs about $20 to make and lasted me almost 5 months. The lady who originally posted this recipe said it lasted her 9 months. That's just phenomenal! My clothes smelled wonderful and they got just as clean, if not more so, than with regular detergent.

Here's the ingredients:

One 4 lb 12 oz box Borax (2.15 kg or 76 oz)
One 4 lb box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (1.81 kg)
One box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda 55 oz (3 lb 7 oz)
Three bars of Fels-Naptha soap (shave them using a hand held cheese grater - I tried to use a food processor...this did NOT work well for me but others have said it works okay for them) :)
Two small containers of Oxy Clean or store brand Oxy Clean (you need about 3.5 lbs total (1.58 kg) (this is optional but I added it))

I found all of these items at Walmart in the laundry aisle. I also added some laundry crystals for the scent.


I lined a box (or a bucket would work) with a garbage bag and mixed everything together.
The Fels-Naptha bar shavings look like grated cheese but they dissolve great, 
even just washing with cold water.

I found this glass jar at Walmart for about $7 to hold it all.

It only takes a tablespoon or two per load, so this lasts a very long time. The plus side to making this...it makes your house smell INCREDIBLE for several days :D





No comments:

Post a Comment